A New Serenity Prayer

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. –Nelson Mandela


God, grant me the serenity
to accept the people I cannot change,
which is pretty much everyone,
since I’m clearly not you, God.
At least not the last time I checked.
And while you’re at it, God,
please give me the courage
to change what I need to change about myself,
which is frankly a lot, since, once again,
I’m not you, which means I’m not perfect.
It’s better for me to focus on changing myself
than to worry about changing other people,
who, as you’ll no doubt remember me saying,
I can’t change anyway.
 
Finally, give me the wisdom to just shut up
whenever I think that I’m clearly smarter
than everyone else in the room,
that no one knows what they’re talking about except me,
or that I alone have all the answers.
Basically, God,
grant me the wisdom
to remember that I’m
not you.
Amen.

(“A New Serenity Prayer,” from James Martin, SJ, via The Jesuit Post)
Monday Pray today for those who believe differently than you do, whether they are Christian or something else. Ask God for wide, loving vision. 1 Timothy 1:12-14
Tuesday Think about someone who is difficult for you to accept as they are. Look for something in them that you might also see in yourself. Pray. Jeremiah 4:23-27
Wednesday How often do you get so busy, you forget to pause for time with God? Be honest—and rest. Exodus 32:11-14
Thursday If possible today, leave your immediate neighborhood and look around you. How easy is it for you to see the Image of God in complete strangers? Psalm 51:6-10 
Friday Now that you’ve named that “something” in yourself, ask God to heal and change your heart. Exodus 32:7-10
Saturday As you focus your prayers on yourself today, ponder the good work God has done and continues to do in your life. Are you sharing your story with others? 1 Timothy 1:15-17
Sunday Rejoice! We are together and the Spirit is among us. Peace be with you. Psalm 98:1-5


The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. --Socrates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again