Go on-- get lost!


All that is gold does not glitter; 
not all those who wander are lost. 
The old that is strong does not wither; 
deep roots are not reached by the frost. –J. R. R. Tolkien


Some people always have to have a path. They just have to know where they're going-- and how they're going to get there. I think these are the folks who created MapQuest and GPS. And that's fine, I suppose, sometimes.

If you have someplace you have to be, and a time you have to get there-- best know where you're going.

But every now and then, I believe it's important to ditch the path and wander. Why not?

What's the worst that can happen? You get lost. (And you may even have to ask someone for directions. Gasp!)

Years ago when I first moved to a new town, I had a mission: I set out to get lost. I started at our apartment-- and I just drove. I paid little attention to the ways I was turning or the streets I was on.

And then-- I set out to find my way home again. I made it home to write about it.

I think life is like that. Once in awhile, just stop. Put down whatever it is you are carrying, and go away. Try to get lost.

Because you just might discover that in getting lost, you find a part of yourself you didn't know was missing.


Monday Where will you go today? If you’re going out, take a different route. Open your eyes as you go. Isaiah 42:1-4

Tuesday Is there some place you always wanted to visit, but never did? Spend some time today looking for information about this place. Let your imagination soar! Isaiah 42:5-9

Wednesday Today during your quiet time, let your mind wander to God’s home. Imagine what life in the everlasting might be like. Psalm 29:1-5

Thursday Remember what it felt like as a child to lose sight of your grownup? Who was more grateful when you reunited? Imagine how joy-filled God is when a child returns! Psalm 29:6-11

Friday Have you ever considered mentoring a student? How might you make that happen? 
Acts 10:34-36

Saturday As you pray for yourself today, listen for God’s word of welcome to your soul. Rest in the safety of God’s unconditional Love. Acts 10:37-43

Sunday When you come to church on Sunday morning, does it feel like homecoming? Greet one another with words of welcome and peace. Matthew 3:13-17

I have held many things in my hand, and I have lost them all; 
but whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that I still possess.--Martin Luther


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again