Show me.


Give thanks with a grateful heart.
Give thanks to the Holy One. –Henry Smith

Show me.

Gratitude (n): the quality of being thankful; the readiness to show appreciation for and return kindness. That’s how Webster defines it. As we celebrate Thanksgiving Day this week, how do we define gratitude?

I really like the second part of this definition: the readiness to show appreciation for and return kindness.

That’s what it’s really all about, isn’t it?

To paraphrase Hallmark, the love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay; love isn’t love till you give it away. I think gratitude, or being grateful, works pretty much the same way.

I can talk all day about how grateful I am for the roof over my head, or that I never have to worry about where my next meal is coming from, but until I step up and help someone else through a time of homelessness or food insecurity, I’m not really getting it. Paul would say, I can do great deeds all day long, and be really smart; I can even give away lots of my stuff—but if I don’t do these things in a spirit of Love and gratitude, I am nothing but a clanging gong, an empty vessel.

Enjoy Thanksgiving. Give thanks. Then—move your feet. Offer Love to others.


Monday There is always something to be grateful for. Open your refrigerator or cupboard and give thanks. Psalm 100

Tuesday Sit in the quiet and listen for the sound of the furnace kicking on to warm your home. Give thanks. Psalm 46:1-7

Wednesday Step outside. Feel the breeze or the sunshine (or snow?) and give thanks to God. 
Psalm 46:8-10

Thursday As you lie in bed, feel the warmth of the blankets, soft against your skin. Give thanks. 
John 6:25-35

Friday Treat yourself to a special treat. Consume it slowly and deliberately. Enjoy the feel on your tongue. Give thanks. Deuteronomy 26:1-3

Saturday As you pray for yourself today, sit in front of a mirror. Look at yourself through God’s loving, uncritical eye. Truly believe you are perfect before God. Give thanks. Genesis 1:24-27

Sunday Advent has begun. Take out your December calendar and make time, every day, for God. Write it in ink. Honor that commitment. Philippians 4:4-9

Gratitude turns what we have, into enough.
--Anonymous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again