Prayer and Pop Culture

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name." --Matthew 6:9

(This may be just the silliness you need today.) 

Prayer is serious business. After all, it is frequently through prayer that the Almighty seeks to reach his children-- and they reach back.

Having said that, that prayer is serious business, we really need to lighten up and not take ourselves so darned seriously, even where prayer is concerned.

I was thinking about how we pray, and to whom we pray. Paul wrote to the church at Rome that, "You did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" When Jesus prayed in the Garden, he prayed to Abba, an Aramaic word most often translated as "Daddy."

Jesus had a special name for God. I wonder if you do, as well.

There was an old sitcom in the 1980s called Night Court, starring Harry Anderson, John Larroquette and many others. In one episode, a "human stray" talked about needing to talk with "Art." Art would know what to do. Art would fix everything, things way beyond any person's abilities. Finally, when pressed further about who this powerful "Art" person was, he said, "You know, like in the Lord's Prayer.

"Our Father, Art in Heaven." Ba-dum bump.

Anne Lamott writes of praying to "Howard."  You know-- Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be Thy name." Ching!

But seriously, we try to create this false dichotomy between church and world, because after all, Jesus said we are to be in this place but not of this place. And yet-- look around. God is made manifest everywhere!

Why not look for God in all the wrong places? God just might show up.

At my church, we have begun incorporating seemingly secular music into worship, while looking at the lyrics and seeing God's fingerprints all over them. Yesterday we had this gem:


Listen for God's whispers in the lyrics. They're practically shouting.

As I walked this morning, I found this one playing in my mind:


Same idea. God is here. Let's go find him.

This morning, for instance, I nearly had a Mary Tyler Moore moment. I was looking at the amazing early morning sky, the heavy grey clouds scooting fast across the eastern sky, the sun trying to peek its way through-- and it was all I could do to keep from throwing my (imaginary) hat in the air and twirling around in circles with my arms lifted high. Beauty and glory-- and God. 

Everywhere. Even in the heart of the city.

I admit it-- it seems lately I may have developed my own "pet name" for God. It's not Art, or Howard, or even Abba.

Are you ready for this?

It seems, when I am caught by surprise by the beauty of Creation, I am likely to catch my breath and cry out, "Good golly, Miss Molly!"

Yep. Miss Molly. Definitely appealing to God's feminine side.

Take some time and think about how you pray, and to whom you pray. And if you haven't allowed a pet name to form in your heart, listen. Because God just might show you what God would like to be called-- by you.

* * *  * *

Lord God, Art, Howard-- Miss Molly. We are ever grateful that when we call, when our hearts cry out, you are there-- and you answer. Thanks be to You. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again