Ya gotta ask. . . .

The Love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay. Love isn’t love till you give it away. –Oscar Hammerstein

It’s that time of year when we start to receive even more requests from groups like St. Jude Children’s Hospital and National Wildlife Federation, groups whose very existence depends on the generosity of strangers who believe these groups matter. Their actions make a difference. They can change the world.

A lot of folks don’t think churches should ever, ever talk about money. That’s the stuff the world cares about. Didn’t Jesus say we cannot serve God and money? He did (Matthew 6:24).

But—in context, what Jesus is telling his followers (that’s us) to do is to take the things the world finds valuable and use them for the advancement of Christ’s Reign, rather than for our own personal wealth and glory.

During his brief three-year ministry, Jesus spoke about money more than any other single topic. The rich young ruler went away sad after Jesus told him to give away all he had (Mark 10:17-31), but perhaps as he walked he realized he did have much more than he needed. . . .

The farmer who stored up grain in his silo till it rotted (Luke 12:13-21). The son who squandered his inheritance (Luke 15:11-32). The woman who wasted expensive perfume on Jesus—and received his blessing for her extravagance (Luke 7:36-50).

In each case, Jesus Christ taught his followers a better way to express gratitude for God’s generosity. And in each case, his followers got the hint: Open your hearts; give extravagantly.

 

Here I am. Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord, where you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart. –John Michael Talbot

 

* * * * * 

(This week, you’re on your own. Spend some time reading the passages I’ve referenced in the narrative, or sit with James’s epistle to the church. Listen for where God is leading your heart, and remember: there are all sorts of places asking for your time and your money. Choose wisely.)


Did I offer peace today?

Did I bring a smile to someone’s face?

Did I say words of healing?

Did I let go of my anger and resentment?

Did I forgive? Did I love?

These are the real questions.

Trust that the little bit of love you sow now will bear many fruits, 

here in this world and in the life to come.

--Henri J. M. Nouwen

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again