Hatch 'em. Match 'em. Dispatch 'em.

 

A seminary student asked to shadow me for two days to see what my life as a pastor was like. At the end, he said, “Oh, my gosh, you’re basically a person for a living.” –Nadia Bolz-Weber

 

Like so very many professions, people don’t really have much of a handle on what it means to be a pastor. There are still some who think we only work one day a week . . . but not much anymore.

I think the reason you might not understand what we do is because, at least sometimes, we don’t understand what we do. Many pastors will tell you: I never, ever saw myself going to seminary or pastoring a church. What was God thinking?

Put my name on that list. Some days, I still feel clueless as to how I got here—and yet. And yet the “fit” of my flock and my Call is undeniable.

The visible aspects of ministry, beyond Sunday morning worship, are clearly baptisms, marriages and funerals, all those touch points in life where one’s soul is experiencing something but you may not be sure what. An overwhelming sense of belonging, or love, or loneliness. A surge of humanity.

That’s where a pastor can make a huge difference. As Nadia observed, we allow our humanness to be used to the Glory of God. We come alongside, listen, comfort, and celebrate— all these things and a whole lot more. Often, we catch our breath as we realize:

Surely, the presence of the Lord is in this sacred space, in the community of followers, family and friends. I am grateful for you. Every one of you. (Yes, even you!) Peace be yours.


Monday Many studies show that people come to church because they were invited. Ask God to show you someone whom you could invite to worship. Pray for an opportunity to do so. Psalm 130:1-5

Tuesday Some folks practice lighting a candle to offer an extra prayer for someone. Offer a name as you light a candle, or offer a prayer as you light a room with the flip of a switch. Psalm 130:5-8

Wednesday Recall a time when you were really, deeply joy-filled. Tell a friend. Share the joy! 1 Kings 19:4-8

Thursday Is there someone new in your neighborhood or building? Why not introduce yourself to them? Welcome them with loving words—and perhaps an invitation to worship. Psalm 34:1-8

Friday Pause and reflect on the unconditional love Christ offers to each one of us, just as we are. Give thanks and rest. Ephesians 4:25-5:2

Saturday As you pray for yourself, thank God for the unique gifts you possess. Ask God to show you how these gifts can be employed to usher in the Reign of God. John 6:35

Sunday What special offering this morning brings joy to your heart? If the message or the music touched you, write a note or email of gratitude. John 6:41-51

 

I had been moved by Wesley’s line, “The world is my parish,” and had decided I was the pastor of everyone in my neighborhood, whether they acknowledged me as such or not. I didn’t need their permission to love them like mad, listen to their stories, or be their friend. And what else, exactly, is a pastor supposed to do? –Jonathan Martin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again