Where are you, God?

 Though I often spend my life in pursuit of God, I often sense that God lies just around the next bend in the trail, just behind the next tree in the forest. I keep waling because I like where the journey has led me thus far. . . . –Philip Yancey


Ever have one of those days when God seems to be playing hide-and-seek? Or showing up in really unusual places? The past year has felt that way at times, hasn’t it? 

Our sanctuaries, where we experienced God, literally closed their doors for months. I think, among other things, this year of isolation and pandemic has brought some of our unintended idols into focus. Things we took for granted have been taken from us. It’s been really challenging.

But at the same time, we need to realize: while our sanctuaries are lovely places to worship, God never asked us to build them. God travelled with the Israelites through the wilderness, pitched a tent and dwelt among them. That was enough for Creator God.

Then God came again and dwelt among us, this time in the flesh of Jesus. That was enough. When Jesus died, he promised us the gift of the Holy Spirit, who would dwell within us, in the temple of our hearts. Not in ornate buildings. In our hearts. 

And for Almighty God, that is enough. Amen.


This week, I simply invite you, each day, to meditate on the verses and ask God to reveal God’s self in the words.

 

Monday Where are you, God? Jeremiah 31:31-34

Tuesday Where are you, God? Psalm 51:1-6

Wednesday Where are you, God? Psalm 51:7-12

Thursday Where are you, God? Psalm 119:10-16

Friday Where are you, God? Hebrews 5:5-10

Saturday Where are you, God? John 12:20-28

Sunday Where are you, God? John 12:29-33

 

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Were every realm of nature mine
My gift was still be far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

--Isaac Watts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping back. . . .

It's that time again. . . .

Starting again